I’ll admit, I rarely think of my gut unless it’s hurting. But I’ve done a little digging.
I’m here to tell you that an unhealthy gut can cause all kinds of serious health problems …such as inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and even brain disorders.
And even if you are well aware that gut health is important, here are a few things you may not know and why they matter:
1)Taking too many antibiotics can cause long-term changes to healthy gut bacteria and contribute to liver damage.
2) The right amount of protein matters …a lot.
3) Give your digestion a rest with intermittent fasting.
4) Pamper your gut with prebiotics (non-digestible plant fiber that “fertilizes” the good bacteria) and probiotics (live bacteria or yeast that you parachute into our intestine in the hope they will take root and enrich your microbiome). . And get better sleep too.
5) Is organic worth the cost? Yes and no. You have to do some research.
6) The cure can be worse than the bite. Many common meds can alter your microbiome.
Now I’m a believer. Turns out that gut health is quite fragile, and deserves a lot more attention than I’ve been giving it. We all need to do a better job of choosing what we put in our mouths and stomach.
I’d love to know if you found any gut practice that you need to add or change.